Monday, September 21, 2009

Square Foot Gardening is for the birds



OK, so not really. I'm actually really excited about my new raised gardens. The problem is, apparently, so are my chickens.

So far, I only have one bed close to being finished. It's 4' x 8', and can support the growth of almost 200 garlic bulbs. I don't have nearly that many cloves to plant since I'm starting small, but it's nice to know that the space is there for other crops come spring. The plan is to create a U-shaped garden on the left side of the barn, closest to the house.

Obviously I'm going to have to protect my new bed from the chickens somehow. I can just see them tearing out all my garlic cloves and having themselves a nice little snack.

That said, though, they sure look cute napping in the soft bed. The contented, soft chirping noises they were making were enough to win anyone over to these sweet little birds.







No comments:

Post a Comment