Sunday, September 13, 2009

Fall sleddog training









I mentioned in my last post that fall sleddog training has begun over here, but I haven't gotten around to posting any pictures yet. So, here I am to remedy that!

A small disclaimer. Willow ran in a muzzle the first several runs because she can get very nervous around strange dogs (she has never started a fight, but I was concerned that the speed and excitement of scootering might push her over her stress threshold and cause an uncharacteristic response if we suddenly met up with a dog on trail). So, hence the basket muzzle in the pics. I have since stopped using it, since I usually pull off the trail anyway if I see a dog approaching.

My little team of two is doing absolutely fantastic. Byron and I go on training runs at the Allerdale paved bicycle loop 3 - 4 times a week in good weather (below 72 degrees - mostly evenings), alternating between running the dogs together, or solo, while Byron bikes alongside or ahead, encouraging the dogs to run faster. Mushing can be a bit of a wild ride, but I'm addicted. Hopelessly addicted. This is great fun, seriously.

The scooter is so much fun, but soon the snow will be flying, and I'll need to procure a dog sled. (If Cold Antler's wishlist goes "truck, farm, tractor", my dogsled wishlist goes "sled, scooter upgrade, kennel upgrade".) I've considered everything from a super-light Scandinavian or Canadian kicksled, all the way up to a real sprint or recreational sled. I had my eye on a used, bare-bones sprint sled for quite some time, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I probably want to buy new. I'd have to install the bar brake, snowhook, runners, and sled bridle by myself if I bought a used sled, and I'm not sure I'm up to the task. Plus, I found out that the one I wanted was bolt construction (as opposed to mortise & tenor), which can cause the sled to break more easily if it happens to hit a tree or boulder (both very likely scenarios - it's the blind-leading-the-blind over here).

I'm still considering, but for starters I really love the traditional look of this sled. That's pretty much what I'm hoping to shell out for, come late October or early November when the snow is about to hit.

Until then, it's wheels for me, and Cordura boots for my pups.

**EDITED TO ADD: In the spirit of this post, I absolutely have to recommend a blog I just stumbled upon. Check it out, if you're anything like me you will laugh until your sides hurt.

A Girl and Her Dogs

No comments:

Post a Comment