Sunday, September 13, 2009

All the little things

It feels good to post to the blog again! It has been a very slow September so far, with very little to write about. It's been full, however, of all the little things that add up to keep this homestead running smoothly (and keep a homesteader very, very busy!).

Little things like realizing that the second shelf of my fridge is always overrun with at least two dozen eggs, no matter how many I am eating (in homemade pasta, in crepes, in French toast, scrambled, fried on toast, with bacon, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner... OK, so maybe it's not that bad). Little things like receiving the final batch of Fly Predators for the season... and realizing that it felt like yesterday that I was first placing that order. The daily hauling of feed and water to the coop, followed by an eager flock of overly-friendly chickens. The moments of sinking my hands into the thick coarse ruff of my happy sled dogs; the moments of listening to Jazz howling in the morning that give me the shivers. Little things like the daily turning of compost, the package of heirloom garlic cloves that will be planted in just a few weeks, the beauty of the fall leaves starting to turn and the sharp crispness in the morning air that puts a smile on my face.

Then, there are the not-so-little things - the failed incubation of my hatching eggs (they were candled several times and showed no veins, sadly), the start of the fall training season for my sled dogs, the contemplation of major fall purchases such as a new furnace.

All these things make up a typical day, week, and month here at the homestead, but by themselves they don't make for much of a story (most days). But I am still here, still plugging along, and still loving every minute of it. In the coming weeks I hope to update a lot more often. Take that as a promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment