Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Surrounded by friends

It's comforting to know that on the rare night I go to sleep alone in this house, I am still surrounded by friends.

Last night, as I climbed up onto the couch to sleep, Bandit joined me and stretched out by my side, his fuzzy belly against my sleeping bag, his head resting contentedly on my chest. Just a few minutes later, Ghost leaped gracefully up onto the back of the couch, climbed down the arm and settled deeply into the pillow next to my head. Big Boy, Frosty, and Starlet found their respective places on the carpet, and Shade stretched herself out along the top of the entertainment center. Outside the window, I heard Willow shuffle into her dog house, assuming her role as guardian and watchman over the little homestead.

As I drifted off, it occurred to me that I could never feel alone here, surrounded by friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment