Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Happy endings



I hope you guys will forgive me for the admittedly not-homestead-related post. It does have to do with "howls" though, so I figure I can sneak it into this blog safely.

The above photo was taken yesterday at an empty farm about an hour away from me. Three dogs - littermates, and a mix of German Shepherd, Malamute, and wolf - were abandoned in a large fenced yard at the farm when the property was foreclosed upon. Left for six months with almost no human contact, the "pack of three" had learned to rely on one another for interaction and scrounge for whatever they could find. The owner returned to throw kibble over the fence now and again, but it wasn't enough for three hungry, 100+ lb. dogs.

About two months ago, a friend of mine who works in rescue found out about them, and asked me to come along to help. Over the course of February, March, and April, we made trip after trip to their location, hauling food, water, toys, and treats into their pen (along with much-needed attention and love). They were just the sweetest dogs and my heart was breaking for them. The local dog pound was poised like a hawk above us, constantly reminding us that they could seize the dogs at any time and take them into their custody - where they would be given a week to live before being euthanized. Meanwhile, my friend and I were doing anything we could to find these three a home, preferably together.

Just a few weeks ago, we finally had a breakthrough. A woman with a heart of gold stepped up and offered almost $400 in free veterinary care to get the dogs current on their shots and vetting. Just a few days later, a fellow rescuer a few states away called and said he knew someone who wanted to adopt all three of the dogs. We were flabberghasted! This person saw the need and went the extra mile, arranging transport, and fencing a huge 7000 sq ft yard for them, complete with 2-story (!) dog house and a deck just for them. It was the happiest ending we ever could have hoped for.

Tomorrow I'll be heading down south to give them their final send-off as they depart for their new home. This work isn't easy, as I've found out, but it is so fulfilling. To anyone who does rescue work out there - you have my gratitude and deep respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment