Thursday, August 27, 2009

2 chickens down

This is a horrible post to write, but I am now down to 12 chickens. I have no idea what may have happened, but Boots, my little Sultan rooster (who recently discovered his identity as a roo by crowing each morning), and Fourteen, my much-loved little runt Silver Polish, are gone. I waited a full day before making this post in the hopes they would return, but they are definitely gone.

I feel sick every time I think about them missing... the flock seems so much smaller, even with just two birds less. The chickens will be in coop-lockdown the next few days while I work on putting up more fencing to keep them out of the neighbor's yard... they have already figured out how to get around the current 50' of fence, so another 50' will go up tomorrow.

In better news, the Sussex eggs will be going into the incubator tonight. I'm hoping that the joy of raising some new Hoof and Howl residents will help me get through the loss of two chickens that I spent six months raising.

Goodbye Boots, and goodbye little Fourteen... you are very much missed by this softy of a chicken farmer.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! After all the stress of waiting for your other hen to come back after she kept disappearing, this is really a horrible thing to read. Very sorry to hear it. :(

    ReplyDelete