Friday, June 26, 2009

The lonesome little garden



Well, here it is at the end of June, and me with only one lonesome little container garden.

My seedlings met with absolute disaster, and although I have no idea where I went wrong, I ended up with only a few starts of tomatoes, peppers, and melons. All my herbs and several vegetables succumbed right as I was about to begin laying the groundwork for the new gardens.

All is not lost, however. I went out on Wednesday and replaced a portion of my herbs with new transplants from Trader Joe's. OK, so it's not as self-sufficient as starting from seed, but at least I now have a little gardening going on. I'm greatly enjoying the little container, and can't wait to plant its clone next week with the other remaining herbs - dill, parsley, and chamomile.

The other good news is that my dad tilled up a sizable portion in his backyard for me to start my remaining plants in. I can't wait to get over there and get everything put into the soil. There was no way I could have gotten my own gardens built in time, so I'm extremely grateful for the little patch of soil he loaned me.

(By the way, the container pictured is one of the self-watering containers I built back in early May. It's my first time using one, especially a DIY job, so time will tell how it works out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment