Monday, March 30, 2009

Where I've been



I've been meaning to post this update for a couple days now, but I just haven't been able to find the time! It's been a very exciting week over here.

Probably the most exciting development is that the chickens' new coop is installed! My dad came by on Saturday morning to get it loaded onto the cinder block foundation. It looks fantastic. It's a great feeling to have that undertaking out of the way. Next, I'll be getting the fencing for their run installed, and adding hotwire to the pasture to make it more predator-proof.





I've also spent several days clearing an obnoxious amount of brush from the woods on our property. Soon, I'll be putting up a 1/4 acre free-running yard for the dogs, and since it will extend about 20 feet into part of the woods, I decided to clear out the brush there so they'd have more room to romp and play.

Lastly, I had to make some improvements to the brooder box I've been using for the chicks. Turns out, the feeders and waterers that sit on the ground are just no good for chicks. They kick shavings into their food and water, not to mention poop in them. It was getting pretty gross, and even changing the feed and water 3 times a day wasn't helping. So, I popped out to Tractor Supply Co. and grabbed a new set made of plastic, and bolted them to the side of the brooder. I got some mealworms for the chickies too - which were, from the sound of things, much appreciated. :)

I'm not quite out of the woods yet, though. I received my much-awaited automatic misting kit for the green tree python colony today, so I figure the rest of tonight and tomorrow will be spent getting that installed. I wish the snakes were as appreciative as the chicks are, but I guess that's probably asking too much.

Oh, and by the way - the second log-pulling run of the day went much better. I hooked Willow up singly, and it seemed to make all the difference. Guess I have more work to do with Bandit yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment