Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Chicks have arrived!





The farm's first batch of chicks arrived yesterday afternoon. Everyone around here is very excited to see them - including our resident felines! Surprisingly, the cats seem to treat the cats with respect as long as I'm supervising the interactions. I wouldn't dream of leaving them alone together, though!

Pictured is little Freebie, a White-Crested Black Polish hen (yes, that's a mouthful) who was a chick orphan at the feed store. She was ordered by someone, but they never came and picked her up. So, I scooped up the little fuzzball and added her to my box. Somehow, the hatchery forgot to add her to my order, so I ended up getting her for free. I didn't realize until I got home and checked my receipt.

Even though she is a week older than the others, they all seem to get along well. I can't wait to see them with their adult feathers coming in - especially Freebie with her little fluffy top hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment