Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Coop and run redesign

I'm sad to report that Hoof & Howl is now down to just three lonely hens. The fox came back and took 4 additional hens this week, and we lost some of our favorites: Ameracaunas Chip and Clover, Polish hen Freebie, and our last remaining Black Star.

Apparently our previous attempts at predator-proofing the old run were unsuccessful, so to prevent further losses, we're building the Fort Knox of chicken runs. I spent the day today working on it, and hope to have it completed by the end of the week.

I'm thankful for the 6 tiny chicks that are currently growing in my brooder box: 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Speckled Sussex, and 2 Ameracauna hens. In the coming weeks, I'm also going to give another shot at hatching eggs in my incubator. A box containing Blue-Laced Wyandotte, Blue, Black, and Splash Ameracauna, and Black Copper Marans eggs should be arriving early next week, for a hatching date in late July. With any luck, the flock should be 15 strong again by winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment