Saturday, July 18, 2009

I know I said...

...I don't have time to plan "fancy summer parties", but... apparently I do. As long as I'm not given enough time to actually THINK about planning them!

Yesterday around 1:00 PM, I got a phone call from a friend mentioning that he would be stopping by soon, and would it be OK if we had some additional company stop by later? Sure, I said! I was expecting an additional 3 - 4 people - hardly enough to call a real "party" - but it soon became apparent that we were talking more in the realm of 8 - 9 guests. Needless to say, my friend and I had to figure dinner out - quick. The rest of the afternoon turned into a delightful whirlwind of buying groceries, chopping ingredients, baking bread, and whipping up egg and chicken salad.

We ended up having 12 people over for dinner - which consisted of a "sandwich bar" (lots of lunchmeat and cheese, vegetables, bread, and sandwich salads to choose from) and assorted fruit. As the night went on, we had a blast playing badminton and cornhole out in the yard next to a blazing fire, and when it got too dark for that, we retired inside to play card games and eat cheese fondue with homemade crusty bread. (I can't say we have the most exciting home in the neighborhood, but if you come here, you can be sure you'll eat well.)

Could a Friday night possibly get any better? I think I need to have more impromptu summer parties...

1 comment:

  1. Sandwiches are always the way to go. Easy, not messy, usually pretty cheap, and everyone can find something to eat.

    How do the dogs do when company comes around?

    ReplyDelete