Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Bug of the day, take 2



OK, what is it with me and moths lately? They seem to be cropping up regularly around here all of a sudden - and so far, both of them large, unusual, and beautiful hawkmoths (Sphinx moths).

This one was absolutely stunning, and when it flapped its wings, they buzzed in the air like a tiny hummingbird! For a little while, it perched on my hand, and its wings were beating so fast that I could feel the air current on my palm. I think it must be some kind of hummingbird moth, apparently a subset of the hawkmoths according to Google.

Like yesterday's moth, this one was found resting in the garage near the kennel. I think that the garage light, left on in the evening while I mop up, is attracting them.

I sure don't mind. They are beautiful, gentle, and a real treat to encounter and photograph. If I'm really lucky, I'll be able to attract a luna moth this way. Now THAT would be worth blogging about.

No comments:

Post a Comment