Friday, July 9, 2010

Eggs are a-cookin'



A dozen chicken eggs from Red Roof Hens are currently in my incubator, and I'm crossing my fingers hoping I'll have a good hatch! Last year, I attempted to hatch a dozen Speckled Sussex eggs, and failed miserably, with not a single chick resulting. I decided to give it another go after the recent predator spree our flock endured.

The incubator is a homemade version of "the real thing", DIY'd from a broken Haier wine cooler bought at a garage sale, a leftover heat panel from the snakes' cages and an inexpensive thermostat control. So far, it's working beautifully and keeping the temperature within 1 degree of my goal.

The expected hatch date will be July 30, give or take a day depending on whether I nailed the correct temperature or not. Fingers crossed for a good hatch!

No comments:

Post a Comment