Saturday, November 14, 2009

Trailbreakers Dryland Challenge

Byron and I spent last weekend at a local sled dog race, the Trailbreakers Dryland Challenge. We enjoyed seeing all the rigs, from high-tech racing setups, to homemade welded carts. And of course, it was fantastic to hang out with some of my mushing friends again.

A great variety of classes were available to suit any musher - everything from 6-dog rig, 4-dog rig, to 2-dog bikejor, 1-2 dog scooter, and even canicross!

The dogs in attendance ranged from purebred Sibes, to "mix and match" recreational teams, to Alaskan huskies, and even a few hounds. I spent the entire day asking questions, learning about different bloodlines and types of equipment. I also met lots of new friends in the mushing community.

My friends, Don and Phyllis of Husky Hobbies, were in attendance for the event. Here's Don, racing with his rig and 6 of his purebred Sibes.





These two hounds, driven by Johnn Molburg, were incredibly fast. Sinewy machines of muscle, they were off like dynamite out of the starting chute. I have to admit, I had never understood the appeal of hounds in the mushing circuit until I watched these amazing dogs run.



Another new friend, Robin Harrison, ran an amazing team of little racing-bred Sibes, mostly Seppala strain. They were extremely focused dogs, and well-meshed as a team - working like a unit. It was great to see.





Next year, I hope to attend Trailbreakers with my own dog team and rig in tow. It's a long way to go and many hours of training, but the atmosphere at this race was wonderfully casual, and charged with the excitement and energy of recreational and professional mushers all enjoying the fall together. It's something I definitely want to be a part of in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment